Legal Action Center

Legal Action Center provides free legal services to ex-offenders, recovering alcoholics and substance users. It will help you obtain your rap sheet (arrest and conviction record) and provide information on how to “clean up” your rap sheet, for example seal records, correct inaccuracies, and obtain Certificates of Relief from Disabilities and Certificates of Good Conduct. It will also counsel you on your rights when seeking employment. Want to get started now? Here is a guide to getting, understanding & correcting your criminal record.  Here is their guide on RAP Sheets.

If you feel you have been unfairly discriminated against as an ex-offender, or if you want information on how to obtain bonding for a particular job, Legal Action Center can be of help. It also offers advice and representation on a range of legal problems for people with HIV infection and their families.

Many valuable and free LAC publications can be downloaded from its website at

Also see LAC’s “After Prison: Roadblocks to Reentry” website at


225 Varick Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 243-1313

See other agencies with locations in:








Must live in New York state.


No fee is required.